The saying, “anything that can go wrong, will go wrong”, may not be so far-fetched when it comes to AC units, which seem to exclusively malfunction or break down when temperatures are on the rise. It is not uncommon for people to only notice their home AC malfunctioning during the summer months when the unit is operating full-time.
We operate in Jacksonville, Florida and we know, firsthand, that record-high temperatures often result in malfunctions and breakdowns of AC units, working overtime, or older units needing servicing.
Home Air Conditioning Problems And Solutions
At J&W Heating and Air in Jacksonville, FL, we handle plenty of emergency calls to fix AC problems. Not all malfunctioning AC units need to be repaired or replaced. At times it’s an issue that you can easily resolve yourself. Here are some troubleshooting tips to help you solve a number of common central AC problems.
Home air conditioning troubleshooting guide
Check for a dirty air filter
The filter may be dirty or clogged and need replacing
Check your thermostat settings
If warm or hot air is coming from the vents, make sure the thermostats are set to COOL and not HEAT
Check your air conditioner circuit breakers.
On your main electrical panel, check for any circuit breakers that may be in the OFF position. If your circuit breakers are clearly labeled, look specifically for one labeled “air conditioner” or “AC”.
Check your outdoor unit
A dirty outdoor unit can lead to many malfunctions, from higher-than-normal energy bills, to warm air as opposed to cool air, and can become the cause of frequent repairs.
Check all air vents as many AC problems are caused by closed/blocked air vents, if you notice any of the following:
- AC struggling to cool your home
- Ice on refrigerant lines or a frozen evaporator coil
- Water leakage from your AC
- Blower motor issues
- Duct leakage
- Higher energy bills
Make sure that all supply vents, in your home, are open and not blocked, by furniture, rugs, or drapes. Be sure to check vents in your home’s unused rooms as well.
If once you’ve gone through these steps, your AC unit is still malfunctioning, it most likely needs servicing. An AC unit breakdown, during a hot spell, can pose a risk to your health and that of your family.
Refrigeration And Air Conditioning Problems And Solutions
When was the last time you had your AC unit serviced? Preventive maintenance of your AC unit will extend its lifespan and help you avoid costly repairs, replacements, and unpleasant surprises.
Our friendly support personnel is on call for 24/7 HVAC Repairs, all year round. If you are a homeowner in Jacksonville, FL, and your air conditioning unit is malfunctioning or breaking down, give us a call and our certified skilled technicians will have your AC unit up and running again in no time.
HVAC Problems And Solutions
We can set you up with a preventive maintenance plan, and energy-saving program designed to save you money. At J&W Heating and Air, we have your air conditioning needs fully covered, so you can sit back, in comfort, knowing your home and family are in good hands.
Avoid ill-timed breakdowns and emergencies and ensure the air in your home is clean quality air. If you live in Jacksonville, whether your AC unit needs repairs or if it has seen better days and needs replacing, contact us for a free estimate. We serve Jacksonville, FL, and surrounding areas.
Commonly Asked Questions
- How do I troubleshoot my AC compressor?
- Search for: How do I troubleshoot my AC compressor?
- Where is the AC reset button?
- What are common problems with air conditioners?
- Search for: What are common problems with air conditioners?
- What is the problem when the air conditioner is not cooling?
- How do I fix my home air conditioner?
- What causes air conditioners to fail?
- Search for: What causes air conditioners to fail?
- What causes a home air conditioner to stop working?
- How can you tell if your AC is leaking gas?
- Search for: How can you tell if your AC is leaking gas?
- What does it mean when your AC smells like gas?
- How do I stop my AC from leaking gas?
- How do I clean my air conditioner without losing gas?
- Search for: How do I clean my air conditioner without losing gas?
- How long does gas last in AC?
- How can I check my home AC gas level?
- What happens if gas is less in AC?
- How do I troubleshoot my HVAC system?
- How do you diagnose AC problems?
- Why is my air conditioner running but not cooling the house?