Every HVAC system comes with a standard air filter, but the job of this air filter is not to improve your indoor air quality; rather, it is to help reduce the amount of dirt, dust, and debris that can enter your system. To truly improve the quality of your indoor air, you’ll want to consider installing an air filtration system in St. Augustine. There are a few things to understand about air filters before you choose one for installation, and the assistance of a trained professional can help ensure that you install an air filter that’s right for you. The indoor air quality experts at J&W Heating and Air have been upgrading HVAC systems since 1966, so if you are looking to upgrade your system, call us today!
MERV Ratings: Why They Matter
Air filters come with a rating known as MERV, which stands for minimum efficiency reporting value. This number tells you how effective a particular filter is when installed into your system. MERV ratings range from 1 to 20, with residential use typically ranging from 5-12. As an example, the standard filter that comes with your HVAC system usually has a MERV rating between 1-4. Other ranges break out as follows:
- MERV 5-8 – captures pollen, dust mites and dust mite debris, sanding dust, textile fibers, carpet fibers, some mold and mildew spores, and pet dander.
- MERV 9-12 – captures the above-listed items and these additional ones: Legionella, Humidifier dust, lead dust, and auto emission particulates.
- MERV 13+ – filters with a MERV higher than 12 can start to restrict air flow, so it’s important to consult a professional about using a filter with this high of a MERV rating.
Reasons to Install an Air Filtration System
The main reason to install an air filtration system is to improve your indoor air quality. Here are a couple more reasons to consider installing an air filter:
- Better energy efficiency – a stronger, better air filter removes more contaminants from the air, which can help improve the airflow in your system.
- Less stress on your system – improved removal of items that can clog your system, like dirt and dust, allows your system to work optimally, reducing levels of stress.
- Help for allergy sufferers – stronger air filters can remove far more allergens from your indoor air, which can go a long way toward reducing the effects of allergies.
An air filtration system in St. Augustine can help both you and your HVAC system. If you are interested in seeing what an air filtration system can do for you and your home, call J&W Heating and Air today and schedule an appointment with one of our experts.