Good insulation is critical to maintaining the energy efficiency of your home year-round. But, if only certain parts of your home have the proper amount of insulation, you’ll still experience issues around energy efficiency and comfort. One of the more overlooked areas for installing proper insulation in Ponte Vedra is your attic space. Your attic space can have a big effect on your home’s energy efficiency, which is why it’s important that the area is properly insulated. If you aren’t sure if you have enough attic insulation, or you know you need more, call the people you can trust to correctly and effectively install insulation in your attic: J&W Heating and Air.
How Insulation Works
The main job of insulation is to slow the transfer of heat. Heat flows in 3 ways:
- Convection – the way heat circulates through liquids and gases
- Conduction – the way heat moves through materials
- Radiation – heat that travels in a straight line and is absorbed by anything exposed to it
When your attic isn’t properly insulated, the intense heat of your attic in the summer easily transfers into your living space, which can force your AC to work harder. During the winter, the heat from your home will move toward the cold air in your attic and outside, forcing your heating system to compensate for the lost heat. By properly insulating your attic, you can significantly reduce heat transfer during all seasons.
Benefits of Good Attic Insulation
Here are some of the benefits of good attic insulation:
- Better energy efficiency – as we mentioned above, having the right amount of insulation throughout your home is critical to maintaining good energy efficiency in your home all year. In fact, the EPA estimates that having the right amount of insulation in your home can reduce your annual energy usage by up to 20%.
- Better comfort – unwanted heat loss or gain can make your indoor temperature fluctuate and become uncomfortable. Having the right amount of insulation starting from your attic space helps you retain the heating and cooling inside your home.
- Decreased noise pollution – insulation acts as a sound barrier, so with added insulation in your attic, your home will be quieter.
When it comes to having the right amount of insulation in your home, it’s important not to overlook your attic space. Call J&W Heating and Air today and schedule an appointment with one of our experts to review your attic insulation in Ponte Vedra.